Excursion to SAKO Brno: Demonstration of the first fully automatic sorting line in the Czech Republic
SAKO Brno is one of the largest waste and collection companies in the Czech Republic. It provides comprehensive services in the field of waste management and energy for municipalities, commercial companies, trading companies and the general public. It provides collection of mixed municipal and separated waste, operates the most automatic sorting line in the Czech Republic and has a modern fleet of vehicles that meet the requirements for economical operation and minimum noise. For the city of Brno, it provides all activities related to the operation of the system of collection and collection of municipal and separated waste, including the operation of waste collection centers. SAKO Brno owns one of the four waste-to-energy facilities in the Czech Republic. Thanks to this, it can produce energy from waste. Each year, it supplies approximately 60,000 MWh of electricity and 1,000,000 GJ of heat to the grid. SAKO Brno has long been one of the most stable companies in the South Moravian region, employing almost 500 people, divided into the Transport, Administration and ZEVO divisions. It is a joint-stock company wholly owned by the city of Brno.
A new waste sorting line was launched in SAKO Brno in March this year. It does not rely on the human eye, but on automatic sensors. The 330 million CZK line can sort up to four and a half tons of plastic, paper and metal by type and color per hour. The new equipment can also cope with waste stored in bags, which it tears apart so that it can be sorted loose. The software program then recognizes the plastics by shape, composition and even color. Ballistic separators will separate the waste into 2D parts (bags, films) and 3D objects (cups, trays, cans). The technology includes a magnetic separator for ferrous metals and an induction separator for non-ferrous metals, so that the line will also effectively separate metal packaging such as beverage cans, tins or aluminum lids. A powerful press with a capacity of 6 tons per hour compresses the sorted plastic and paper into bales for further processing. The line also includes a polystyrene shredder.
Take part in this comprehensive excursion and learn how state-of-the-art sorting technologies are used to manage waste, including the packaging we produce and sell.
- 9:30–10:00: arrival at the Environmental Center of SAKO Brno, Jedovnická 2
- 10:00–10:10: welcome by a member of the company management, brief introduction of SAKO Brno
- 10:15: departure through the SAKO Brno premises, past the largest collection center in Moravia to the automatic sorting line at Jedovnická 4 (approx. 700 m)
- 10:20–10:50: tour of the automatic sorting line
- 10:55: departure for those interested back to the premises of Jedovnická 2 for a tour of ZEVO SAKO Brno
- 11:00–11:45: tour of ZEVO
- 11:45–12:00: coffee in the Environmental Center, answering questions on the issue, end of the event
Further details about the excursion:
- Maximum capacity: 40 persons
- Excursion time: from 9:30 to 12:00
- Meeting place: https://maps.app.goo.gl/WRwhUcNKWkL7Xrdd7
- Parking in front of the main building at Jedovnická 4247/2, 628 00 Brno-Židenice